Forums

Top Headlines: Maddon opts out, won't return to Rays.. Attorney: NFL, Ravens not cooperating.... RG3 breaks silence, says won't rush back.. Royals shift Cain to tricky RF at AT&T.. Ted Bishop out as PGA president.. Manning calls out scoreboard operator.. Chara tears knee ligament, out 4-6 weeks.. Judge halts NJ sports betting plan.. Bengals WR Green doubtful against Ravens...

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > NFL Huddle > NFL Jabber

Notices

NFL Jabber The most popular sport in America and our most popular forum. Well, at least until the Waitress Room starts getting new .. "material"

Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
G-men
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Helicopter Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
G-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond repute
: $105024
Default UPDATE: Florio backtracks on players missing games for childbirth

Quote:
From Mike Florio at Pro Football Talk:

More than a few NFL players have made known this year their intention to miss a game in lieu of missing the birth of a child.

If push comes to shove, however, should they choose to be present for the pushing and not the shoving?

It's a thorny issue. My position was and is that the players have made a lifestyle choice that entails being available 16 days per year, no matter what. If they choose not to plan their nine-month family expansion activities to coincide with the eight months per year when their work activities don't entail playing games that count, why should their teams suffer the consequences?

"Nine-month family expansion activities" That means fucking, right? I feel like he's talking about fucking.

But wait! Things get even weirder in the video essay at the bottom of that post. At about the 2:15 mark he hits us with some earnest, cringe-inducing advice about fucking, stopping just short of putting a condom on a banana:

There are ways to ensure that your spouse, significant other, fiance, girlfriend, whatever, won't be giving birth between the months of September and January. You [hesitates] plan your [hesitates] family around those months. So the spouse, significant other, fiance, girlfriend, whatever is having the child at at a time when you're not playing football. [...] I tell you what, if I'm an NFL coach, hell, a college coach, first chance I get, every chance I get, I'm telling guys, "Look, if you're thinking about having a child, or if you're thinking about doing anything that could result in having a child, here are the months when you can be a little less careful."

Oh go family-expansion activity yourself, Florio.
http://deadspin.com/5958654/players-...ll-talk-weirdo
Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Lee
Behind the couch
All Pro

Lee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant futureLee has a brilliant future
My Mood:

: $43315

I should have known reading the title that it would be 30 seconds I could never get back. But I just had to see how the media was going to solve this/look stupid. This is between a player, his team, and his family. Players can be fined for anything else, if they choose to make it very financially uncomfortable for them, maybe they won't miss the game. Maybe the team values family. Whatever, it is up to them. There is plenty of football to talk about now.

All of that aside, how many intelligent professionals use this practice, let alone the "not so thinking with the right head" players?

Quote:
"Golden Stiffs & Sand Ass Spuds have a great on going...in OT"-REG

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Reveryroadie
Roadie/NFL Swami/Co-Owner
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $84244
Send a message via Yahoo to Reveryroadie

ummm wow, and i thought Florio couldn't sink any lower....i was wrong

Reveryroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
G-men
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Helicopter Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
G-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond repute
: $105024

Quote:
The issue of Bears cornerback Charles Tillman possibly missing Sunday night’s game for the birth of his child placed on our radar screen for the second time this season a delicate question, about which plenty of you have strong opinions.

Earlier this year, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger made clear his intention to miss a game if he had to, even though he added that he and his wife will “do everything we can” to avoid that outcome. Addressing the Roethlisberger situation on NBC Sports Network’s Pro Football Talk, I raised the intersection of family issues and football season from the perspective of the specific lifestyle the player has chosen — and for which he is compensated significantly.

On Wednesday, after hearing that Tillman had said he won’t play on Sunday if his wife is in labor, I dusted off that “this is the business we’ve chosen” mentality, without completely thinking through all of the issues that naturally arise.

Now that I’ve had a chance to consider the situation more carefully, and to consider the feedback (profane and otherwise) from some who have disagreed with the notion that players should try their best to plan for the stork to arrive in the offseason, I’ve come to realize that telling a player how to handle birth is exactly like telling him how to handle death.

And it’s been my position for years that I’ll never disagree with how someone chooses to grieve.

Some players have decided not to play when a family member dies (e.g., former Vikings receiver Troy Williamson, after his grandmother passed) and some will (e.g., Packers quarterback Brett Favre the day after his father died, and Ravens receiver Torrey Smith the same day his brother died). Regardless of what they choose, it’s their choice.

That same approach should apply when a baby is being born.

It’s not an easy issue, for any player. Being a father entails being present at important moments. Being a father also involves the solemn duty of provider. A father, while providing for his family, sometimes misses a wide variety of events.

What’s worse? A football player who isn’t present for the birth but spends hour after hour of the offseason with his children, or a CEO who is there to cut the umbilical cord but otherwise is rarely home when the kids are awake?

In the football context, the fact that a decision would even have to be made highlights the potential conflict between a father’s role as a participant in childbirth and his role as the man who provides for the family. If the answer was so obvious, there wouldn’t even be a question.

Then again, the fact that it’s even a question possibly flows from the “winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing” mentality that caused former Oilers offensive line coach Bob Young to proclaim in 1993 that, by attending the birth of his child, tackle David Williams “let the guys down, and he let hundreds of thousands of fans down.”

In the end, each player has to make the decision if/when the issue arises, balancing a wide variety of factors and concerns, including but not limited to the health of the mother, the health of the baby, and the wishes of the mother. Other considerations will include the value of the player to the team, the importance of the game, and the amount of money that the player could be sacrificing by not being available on one of the 16 days per year when presence on the football field is as close to mandatory as it ever is.

Teams should support whatever the player decides to do, even if the coach, G.M., owner, or others would have made a different decision — or if it’s obvious to team management that the player gave no thought whatsoever to even trying to time the pregnancy so that it would end during the offseason.

As to Tillman, he has said via Twitter that his new baby will be born on Monday. And that he’ll be present for the game on Sunday.

If, in the end, his wife goes into labor before or during the game against the Texans, whatever Charles decides to do should be accepted and respected by his teammates, his coaches, his owner, the fans, and the media.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nd-childbirth/
G-men is offline   Reply With Quote