Top Headlines: Cowboys must protect Romo to avoid collapse.. Dallas receives weird explanation for flag.. Lions top Bears; Johnson fastest to 10K yards.. CM Punk rips WWE, doctors in interview.. RG3 speaks for first time since benching.. Pele doing 'fine' after going to special care unit.. Report: Ex-LB Talley considered suicide.. Police seek sneakers at Hernandez home.. Zags' Perkins suffers broken jaw on kick.. Texans' Clowney could miss another game..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > The Sports Bar > Entertainment

Notices

Entertainment Music, movies, TV, games

Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #41
G-men
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Helicopter Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
G-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond repute
: $105024

Do you buy all those albums LMD?

Just started listening to the Weeknd. Was a good decision
G-men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #42
LMD
All Beauty Fades
Lottery Pick

Slingo Delux Champion!
LMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond repute
: $35364

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerChuck View Post
Chuck's a Dead Head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-men View Post
Do you buy all those albums LMD?

For the most part, I do. There are some obtained through questionable means though.

Of course, this collection does span back about 10 years at this point, so its not like I went on one huge binge. Some of these have been sitting in my drawers for years (Like "The Battle for Everything" and Seal's "Best.").

Quote:
Just started listening to the Weeknd. Was a good decision
I'm surprised you didn't listen to them before. Aren't they supposed to be the greatest new artist in recent history or something? I know everyone's pretty big on them (Outside of this hipster hippie, apparently. ).

Credit to MattyP.

LMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #43
G-men
HOF'er (retired jersey)

G-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
Chuck's a Dead Head?

For the most part, I do. There are some obtained through questionable means though.

Of course, this collection does span back about 10 years at this point, so its not like I went on one huge binge. Some of these have been sitting in my drawers for years (Like "The Battle for Everything" and Seal's "Best.").

I'm surprised you didn't listen to them before. Aren't they supposed to be the greatest new artist in recent history or something? I know everyone's pretty big on them (Outside of this hipster hippie, apparently. ).
I have no room to judge on the questionable means that may be used to acquire albums

And I'd heard The Weeknd on tracks with Drake and other people before, but never really went into his whole work. And I know there's people out there that like him but I've never gotten into it until now
Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #44
SoonerChuck
All Pro

SoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $63520

Dead head That is the only Grateful Dead album I ever owned. It is a good album though.

SoonerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #45
LMD
All Beauty Fades
Lottery Pick

Slingo Delux Champion!
LMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And I'd heard The Weeknd on tracks with Drake and other people before, but never really went into his whole work. And I know there's people out there that like him but I've never gotten into it until now
Ah, that makes sense. I figured you would have jumped on him. Seemed to be up your alley from the little bit I know about him/them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerChuck View Post
Dead head That is the only Grateful Dead album I ever owned. It is a good album though.
Oh. Well, close enough.

Credit to MattyP.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #46
LMD
All Beauty Fades
Lottery Pick

Slingo Delux Champion!

Been a while since the last update. Picked up a decent amount of albums over the past few weeks (Pre-orders being filled, ordering new ones + a cheap one to get over free shipping and redeeming credit card points) and threw 'em onto a playlist together (AKA: iTunes' already-created "Recently Added" playlist). Was holding off on inducting them until I heard them enough to be confident I knew enough about them.

Anywhos,

"Afterglow" - Black Country Communion

I know Lee loves it, but I just can't get into it as much as their past 2. Their debut had a couple of duds, but they had some really good standout tracks and the follow-up was just straight beastly. I feel like this is just Glenn Hughes screaming repeatedly. It was cool the first couple times I heard songs from it, but now I feel Glenn Hughes'd out.

"Passion, Grace, and Fire" - John Mclaughlin, Al Di Meola, and Paco De Lucia

Straight badass flamenco guitar playing. Was actually surprised with how much I enjoyed it. "Orient Blue" is a beautifully haunting piece that doesn't get enough respect, me thinks.

"Birds of Fire" - Mahavishnu Orchestra

So. Good. So. Good. Such a stepup from their debut "The Inner Mounting Flame." I see why so many consider this one of the crown jewels of the jazz-fusion movement of the 70's. So beastly. Just, no words.

"Concerto for Guitar & Orchestra 'The Mediterranean'" - John McLaughlin

The 3 songs from the concerto are beautiful. Sound quality is a bit of a pain as the volume drops randomly, and because you can't see what's going on, you can't tell if the orchestra's taking a rest or if its one of those instances where the volume plummets for whatever reason. But, when you can actually hear what's going on, its beyond beautiful. McLaughlin's guitar makes sweet, sweet love with the orchestra. The next 5 songs are works of McLaughlin alongside Katia Labeque as "Duos for Guitar and Piano." Not as full a sound as the concerto, but still beautiful overall. "Brise De Coeur" is addictingly beautiful.

"A Love Supreme" - John Coltrane

Quite possibly the most beautiful piece of music ever recorded. Ever.

"A Blueprint for Writhing" - One Less Reason

One of the most intense albums of the year, and the band's history. If this wasn't 6 songs I think it'd be my clear-cut album of the year. As it stands now, at 29 minutes, its already giving Santana's full length album a good run for its money. Just, so beautiful. So heartwrenching. So perfect.

Credit to MattyP.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #47
G-men
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Didn't have high expectations, but it still sucked

Needs to be longer
Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #48
LMD
All Beauty Fades
Lottery Pick

Slingo Delux Champion!

Been a while since I updated this. Couple albums since last time;

"Now Here This" - John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension

Beautiful. A lot of people loved the 4th Dimension's debut, "To The One," but I think this is far superior. McLaughlin takes a more methodical approach and lets his notes resonate more as opposed to the furious shredding on TTO. I prefer this McLaughlin over the crazy shredder, even though I do love the crazy shredder too.

"Between Nothingnes and Eternity Bonus Disc" - Mahavishnu Orchestra

Randomly released with no fanfare in April, its 7 unreleased songs from the same concert that the original Between Nothingness and Eternity was from. Significantly better than the original in my opinion, mainly because the track listing is stronger in general. But the interplay and the solo'ing blows the original out of the water in my opinion. "Awakening" is one of the most beastly live performances of any song I've ever heard, and "You Know You Know" sounds even better than the studio version, which is no easy feat.

"The Lost Trident Sessions" - Mahavishnu Orchestra

The "lost" tapes from the planned 3rd album. Its a pretty fantastic album, like all of the band's, but its also depressing as fuck. Not because the music is or anything. Because McLaughlin was such a selfish bastard for no reason. The first 2 albums featured only McLaughlin compositions and TLTS has 3 compositions from the other members and 3 McLaughlin ones. McLaughlin wasn't entirely thrilled with the other guys getting writing credits and major dysfunction occurred leading to their breakup. Of course, the 3 non-McLaughlin compositions are far superior to the 3 McLaughlin compositions here. "I Wonder" the Jerry Goodman one is by far, in my opinion, the band's strongest work ever. It also features one of McLaughlin's most powerful solos. Go figure.

"Love Devotion Surrender" - Carlos Santana + John McLaughlin

One of the greatest "duets" of all time. Two beautiful guitarists blending perfectly making sweet, sweet love with their guitars. Perfect blend of good (Santana's soft tone and sustained notes) and evil (McLaughlin's furious shredding). Exactly how guitarists should be interplaying with each other. The fact that the "backing" band features Billy Cobham, Jan Hammer and Doug Rauch for a majority of the album doesn't hurt either.

"Sirens" - Red Wanting Blue

The perfect musical journey. Not in the form of a rock opera or concept album or anything. Just, flows beautifully. The first 3 songs are pretty standard rock tracks, the next 4 start to slow it down a bit and hit some more introspective and powerful lyrics. The next song serves as the bridge to the grand finale, setting the stage for what's to come. Its a blend of the first 3 songs in its rock feel and a blend of the next 4 in its more powerful lyrics. The last 3 songs blow the album out of the water with some of the most moving music the band's ever released. Absolutely stunning and beautiful and a perfect close to the album.

Credit to MattyP.