Braves lose no-hit bid in 8th, beat Mets.. Duke's Hood joining Parker in NBA draft.. Silver: Raising age limit a priority.... Grizzlies PG Calathes suspended 20 games.. Did Manning's meeting with Saban cross the line?.. Datsyuk's late goal gets Wings by Bruins.. Pujols hits 497th HR, Angels beat Tigers.. Canadiens beat Lightning to go up 2-0.. Tulsa hires Missouri's Haith as coach..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > The Sports Bar > Random Jabber

Notices

Random Jabber Talk About Whatever Pops into Your Head

Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Flying Steel Champion! Word Search 69 My Body Champion! Shooting Practice Champion!
Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $53298
Video Man of Steel - Official Trailer

Visit my Ebay store for action figures, comic books, autographed comics, and more!
New LOWER prices on ALL autographed comics!

Click on my signature to view my Ebay items!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
SoonerChuck
All Pro

SoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $63520

It looks better than the last attempt at Superman.

SoonerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
DupuisLesRapide
Super Duper Moderator
Blue Chipper

DupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of light
: $13724

Michael Shannon. YES.
DupuisLesRapide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Flying Steel Champion! Word Search 69 My Body Champion! Shooting Practice Champion!
Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

I'm not sure if anyone around here knows this or not, but Superman is my favorite superhero. I've followed him since the age of four and is one of two reasons (the other being Star Wars) that I am in the position I am in today. I have a collection of Superman comics and other collectibles of near "hoarder" proportions. I'm not really a fan of the Reeve series of movies with the possible exception of Superman III. I also hated Superman Returns.

All of that said, I am sooooooo hoping that this movie does not suck. I am slowly starting to get my hopes up, and it scares the bejeezus out of me. Then again, a small part of me does hope that it sucks so that the feebs that hate Superman continue to do so and I'll be part of the dwindling fan base that still puts Supes on top.

Visit my Ebay store for action figures, comic books, autographed comics, and more!

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Titans4Vols
Beast Mode
All Pro

Titans4Vols has a reputation beyond reputeTitans4Vols has a reputation beyond reputeTitans4Vols has a reputation beyond reputeTitans4Vols has a reputation beyond reputeTitans4Vols has a reputation beyond reputeTitans4Vols has a reputation beyond reputeTitans4Vols has a reputation beyond reputeTitans4Vols has a reputation beyond reputeTitans4Vols has a reputation beyond reputeTitans4Vols has a reputation beyond reputeTitans4Vols has a reputation beyond repute
: $46626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I'm not sure if anyone around here knows this or not, but Superman is my favorite superhero. I've followed him since the age of four and is one of two reasons (the other being Star Wars) that I am in the position I am in today. I have a collection of Superman comics and other collectibles of near "hoarder" proportions. I'm not really a fan of the Reeve series of movies with the possible exception of Superman III. I also hated Superman Returns.

All of that said, I am sooooooo hoping that this movie does not suck. I am slowly starting to get my hopes up, and it scares the bejeezus out of me. Then again, a small part of me does hope that it sucks so that the feebs that hate Superman continue to do so and I'll be part of the dwindling fan base that still puts Supes on top.
Yeah, the big screen/TV hasn't exactly been kind to Superman, especially in comparison to Batman. With everything from the Adam West series, the Tim Burton movies, TAS(and the animated movies), Beyond, Justice League/JLU and the Nolan movies.

Superman only has it's TAS(which even then is greatly overshadowed by Batman's) and the JL/JLU to be proud of. It's truly a shame Superman's TAS is so overshadowed, it's just about as good as Batman's in my personal opinion.

I had high hopes for this movie, but after Nolan completely botched the ending to TDKR, I'm not sure what to think. Hopefully this is closer to Batman Begins in overall quality.
Titans4Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
DupuisLesRapide
Super Duper Moderator
Blue Chipper

DupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of light

There's a big difference between Batman and Superman. Batman is the human hero with more realistic villains. Makes the stories more open to drama and it's far easier to create that much needed human connection. Superman is always going to be fantasy by default. Before the first lines are even written it's at a disadvantage when it comes to creating quality, IMO.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyMikeWallace View Post
There's a big difference between Batman and Superman. Batman is the human hero with more realistic villains. Makes the stories more open to drama and it's far easier to create that much needed human connection. Superman is always going to be fantasy by default. Before the first lines are even written it's at a disadvantage when it comes to creating quality, IMO.
I would argue that Superman is more human than Batman. He's Clark Kent...down to earth, raised to do what's right farmboy first, and Superman second. It always bothers me when people look to Quentin Tarantino's diatribe in KBvII when trying to understand Superman. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but many people do.

He's the pinnacle of goodness, and most people don't like that. They'd rather like the Wolverine and Punishers of the world because it's easier to disregard rules and morals and hide behind the idea that those two characters are more interesting because they cross the line...which I say is bullshit.

I also laugh when people say that the Batman has no powers, but if being the richest, "smartest", most athletic, best fighter, greatest tactical mind, creating and owning the most advanced gadgets, etc isn't a superpower then what is a superpower?

You know, it's never the actual characters that I dislike, it's mostly the fans of those characters. Haha.

But, on the other side, I do agree that Superman is more of the "fantasy" aspect of superheroes, but that's alright by me because I prefer the escapism of comic books rather than the realism. That's always been one of the main reasons that I feel DC Comics is superior to Marvel Comics.

I don't need to relate to the realistic nature of my comic book heroes...I live in real life. I want the fantasy aspect of heroes.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
DupuisLesRapide
Super Duper Moderator
Blue Chipper

He can't be more human than Bruce Wayne. He isn't human. As soon as a character becomes alien, the audience will automatically treat them as such. No matter how human Kent may behave, he will never be human. I would call it "Android Syndrome". An android may look and behave identically to humans, but it will never be seen as such by society at large. They're just inherently different. It creates a disconnect between the audience and the character than can be very difficult to bridge in a fantasy setting.