Top Headlines: Giants end KC's run, take Series opener.. Cowboys release Sam from practice squad.. Pistorius sentenced to 5 years in jail.. Vucevic, Magic agree to $54M extension.. Champions League roundup: Powers roll.. Getlin: Terrelle Pryor works out with Giants.. Watch: A.J. Green calls status 'up in the air'.. Rice's appeal hearing set for Nov. 5-6.. Kings support Voynov's suspension..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > The Sports Bar > Random Jabber

Notices

Random Jabber Talk About Whatever Pops into Your Head

Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #41
Reaper
2013 NCAA Swami Champ!
Lottery Pick

Flying Gonzo Champion! Black and White Mahjong 2 Champion! Dynomite Champion!
Reaper is a splendid one to beholdReaper is a splendid one to beholdReaper is a splendid one to beholdReaper is a splendid one to beholdReaper is a splendid one to beholdReaper is a splendid one to behold
My Mood:

: $18131

Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #42
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Flying Steel Champion! Word Search 69 My Body Champion! Shooting Practice Champion!
Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $53298

Wait. I just saw one yesterday that said their school colors are green and white?

I don't see how wearing school colors is going to help the situation.

Visit my Ebay store for action figures, comic books, autographed comics, and more!
New LOWER prices on ALL autographed comics!

Click on my signature to view my Ebay items!
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #43
Canada180
Master Debater
Casual Fan

Canada180 will become famous soon enoughCanada180 will become famous soon enough
My Mood:

: $3434

Stepping in somewhat late, I havent been here much lately. But, I just want to let you all know that this horrific , heinous crime against the innocent of your great country is indeed felt everywhere.

I live in Nova Scotia , Canada and please believe, this has crushed us ALSO. There are vigils planned and Christmas is not the same now. How could it be.

New England is very close in proximity and also in our hearts , as the areas of the world are a lot alike. We had a terrible explosion many years ago where thousands died and New England( particularly Boston was there for us) We are forever in their(and all New England)debt.

God Bless the little souls and brave Teachers who were lost. We will never forget them

Peace on earth,
Canada180
Canada180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #44
Deb
Miss Ya Big Guy
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $536349
Send a message via AIM to Deb Send a message via MSN to Deb Send a message via Yahoo to Deb

Quote:
I don't see how wearing school colors is going to help the situation.
That is a tough one. I can only tell you my experience here in Feb. When the kids saw opposing schools wear red and black and it touched them. they had a basketball game that week and the school they played had the school colors or blue and white. They showed up in red shirts to start the game. It touched the kids and gave them strength that the world was with them. The whole state wore red and black. And some of the nation.

Everyone was making heart signs with their hands for one heartbeat and wearing red and sending pics. It made them more aware I think and did let them feel they weren't alone.

Not sure how that will all work on elementary level because their level of understanding isn't as developed. The kids here all sold decals that said ONE HEARTBEAT. And the money went to families. You still see red ribbons on trees and one heart beat everywhere. They are making them now to send to CT. The nation seems to be sending teddy bears.

It's like friends and family attending a funeral or getting a sympathy card in the mail. It doesn't bring anyone back or change the situation. But it does make you feel most of the time like you are surrounded by love.

In a weird way that is probably why Scott's dad stops in here. We don't wear colors but we are were connected to him and that helps.

People all grieve different ways. For the ones this helps..why not? Just my humble opinion

I think sometimes when something is so large scale and horrific it's hard to comprehend little things still are okay.

It really did help our community get thru and pull together and be strong

"And in the depths of winter, I found in me am invincible summer."
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #45
Reaper
2013 NCAA Swami Champ!
Lottery Pick

Reaper is a splendid one to beholdReaper is a splendid one to beholdReaper is a splendid one to beholdReaper is a splendid one to beholdReaper is a splendid one to beholdReaper is a splendid one to behold
My Mood:

Jerry nothing can help this situation but like Deb said it is to show support. You don't have to wear anything or do anything if you wish but I'm still wearing their school colors under my uniform!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #46
Reaper
2013 NCAA Swami Champ!
Lottery Pick

My Mood:

Tough Tuesday!

Quote:
Students returned to school in the shattered Connecticut town of Newtown on Tuesday, accompanied by police and counselors to help them cope with grief and fear after a gunman's rampage killed 26 people in an elementary school and altered attitudes about gun control in Washington.

Sandy Hook Elementary, where 20-year-old Adam Lanza gunned down a score of 6- and 7-year-olds and six adults on Friday, will remain closed. It is an active crime scene, with police coming and going past a line of 26 Christmas trees put up by visitors and decorated with ornaments, stuffed animals and balloons in the school colors of green and white as a memorial.

The rest of Newtown's schools were set to reopen.

"We are ready to open our doors and give them everything they need to feel safe," said Julie Shull, a social studies teacher at Reed Intermediate School. "I could not be prouder to be a part of this amazing group of individuals that devote their lives to children."

Sandy Hook pupils will later resume class at an unused school in another town.

The massacre of young children shocked Americans who had grown accustomed to mass shootings, prompting some U.S. lawmakers to call for tighter gun restrictions and pressuring one private equity firm to sell its investment in a gunmaker.

President Barack Obama, who called for action at a Sunday night prayer vigil in Newtown, held talks with Vice President Joe Biden and three Cabinet members on Monday in what a White House official said was an effort to "begin looking at ways the country can respond to the tragedy in Newtown."

Several Democratic lawmakers have called for a new push for U.S. gun restrictions, including a ban on assault weapons such as the Bushmaster AR-15 used by Lanza, who carried hundreds of rounds of ammunition in extra clips and shot all of his victims repeatedly, one of them 11 times. Lanza also shot dead his mother before driving to the school, and then killed himself to end the massacre with a death toll of 28.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #47
Reaper
2013 NCAA Swami Champ!
Lottery Pick

My Mood:

Jack Pinto was buried in his Giants #80 jersey because Victor Cruz was his favorite player!

Quote:
While politicians and investors grappled with the future of the U.S. gun industry, police and educators in Newtown tried to ease their bucolic town back to normal. At least two more funerals were set for Tuesday after the first two children were buried on Monday.

Newtown police plan to have officers at the six schools scheduled to reopen on Tuesday, and police Lieutenant George Sinko acknowledged it may be difficult to ease the worries of the roughly 4,700 returning students and their families.

"Obviously, there's going to be a lot of apprehension. We just had a horrific tragedy. We had babies sent to school that should be safe and they weren't," Sinko said. "You can't help but think ... if this could happen again."

Older students were volunteering at a support center for those stricken with grief.

"It all seemed so unreal, and then today it hit me. This is reality and something we're going to have to deal with," said Jamie Calandro, 14, a freshman at Newtown High School. "Right now, with Christmas coming up, it's most important to make the homey feel of Newtown come back."

When Sandy Hook students return, it will be at the unused Chalk Hill School in the nearby Monroe, where a sign across the street from the school read, "Welcome Sandy Hook Elementary!"

Police have warned it could take months for them to finish their investigation.

The first two victims, Noah Pozner and Jack Pinto, both 6, were buried on Monday, with the boys' bodies laid out in white coffins. Jack was dressed in a New York Giants jersey with his favorite player's number, while mourners left a teddy bear outside Noah's service.

Funerals were expected on Tuesday for victims including James Mattioli and Jessica Rekos. Each was 6 years old.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #48
DupuisLesRapide
Super Duper Moderator
Lottery Pick

DupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to all
: $13724

This country needs ton take a step back and reconsider how to react to these sorts of things. The media, as well, needs to be more responsible.

1. Leave the kids and victims alone.
2. Do not mention the murderer's name nor show their face.
3. More silence, less coverage.
4. Avoid knee jerk reactions.

We need need to push for more widespread awareness of mental issues as well as more strict laws pertaining to dangerous people. The ACLU has made it all but impossible to monitor people with dangerous mental health issues and that is wrong, IMO.

The issue isn't guns, it's mental health. We need to wake up and stop ignoring it or treating it like it's something everyone deals with. This sort of mental instability is NOT common.
DupuisLesRapide is offline   Reply With Quote