McIlroy wins British for third major.. Despite struggles, Woods eyes Ryder Cup.. Despaigne has no-no into 8th, Padres win.. Smyly helps Tigers avoid sweep to Tribe.. Rams' Dunbar, NBA's Greene fight at club.. Werth's hit in 9th lifts Nats by Brewers.. Wozniacki wins first WTA title of year.. McIlroy's dad wins bet with son's win.. Gray wins fifth straight as A's rout O's..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > The Sports Bar > Random Jabber

Notices

Random Jabber Talk About Whatever Pops into Your Head

Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #57
Canada180
Master Debater
Casual Fan

Canada180 will become famous soon enoughCanada180 will become famous soon enough
My Mood:

: $3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
No one should have to bury a child. Whether that child is 6 or 15 or 21. As a parent...there is no greater pain. I have purposely stayed away from it on facebook cuz I still can't wrap my head around it all.

Be it mental health issues, gun control, No gun control, sensationalism or whether the world just sucks. I am really not looking at any of that to that degree yet. The mom in me is sad and can't sleep because someone's child is gone. I am not to the whys, the what the hells yet, or anything else.

Everyone is going to react differently based on their own life experiences. And I respect that. There is no right or wrong way to react to a tragedy.
The important and most pressing thing right now is for the people who lost their loved ones in Newtown to feel the love and sympathy from all who have been touched by this horror. Be it in America or anywhere in the world. They need help now and in the coming years, as their pain will not go away easily.

Ways will need to be discussed and implemented to prevent future tragedies, because they WILL happen again if the status quo is maintained.

It is not just an American phenomenon and others in different countries should not feel complacent about the chances of it happening in their home towns. Canada has gun laws , but we are not exempt from this type of behaviour. We had 13 students at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique gunned down not that long ago.

So, gun control may limit the propensity or number of events but it still happens and the pain is still the same.

A multipronged approach is needed and probably most prudent and all determining factors need to be assessed. But, the most important thing is that dialogue and discussion must start sooner than later, peoples lives and killers wont wait.

There were heroes in Newtown that day, not just killers. Some of those heroes are not with us now. Let others be heroes for the families now. Are there heroes out there now?

Pray to God for them to step up.

Peace,
Canada180
Canada180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #58
Deb
Owner/Maid
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $536349
Send a message via AIM to Deb Send a message via MSN to Deb Send a message via Yahoo to Deb

Not a bad idea. Stick a vet at every school

WATE 6 News
4 hours ago

Tearsa: After the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary School one Tennessee father and former marine is standing guard at his children's school and parents say he's a welcome addition to the school. Jordan Pritchard, a former Staff Sergeant in the US Marine Corps, pulled down his old Marine Corps uniform from the attic Sunday night and decided to make a difference in his community. When he was in the military his job was to keep our country safe and for the next week he planned bring that safety home by standing guard outside the front door of Gower Elementary School.
He says it's his responsibility. ~WTVF

"And in the depths of winter, I found in me am invincible summer."
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #59
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Flying Steel Champion! Word Search 69 My Body Champion! Shooting Practice Champion!
Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $53298

Quote:

WATE 6 News
4 hours ago

Tearsa: After the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary School one Tennessee father and former marine is standing guard at his children's school and parents say he's a welcome addition to the school. Jordan Pritchard, a former Staff Sergeant in the US Marine Corps, pulled down his old Marine Corps uniform from the attic Sunday night and decided to make a difference in his community. When he was in the military his job was to keep our country safe and for the next week he planned bring that safety home by standing guard outside the front door of Gower Elementary School.
This probably wouldn't be a bad idea because it would be cheaper than an actual police officer at every school which is what some are calling for. But again, let's be clear...it won't actually make the school safer, it will just make those there feel more safe.

All it takes if for someone to be more trained, or more prepared than those that are "defending" the location.

Fear is the real enemy here. Just like post 9/11 when a guy tried to hide explosives in his shoe, the knee jerk reaction was for everyone to be forced to take their shoes off and have them "inspected". It doesn't help, it's just for appearance sake.

I feel bad that I'm seeming like the heartless guy here, but I'm not...really. I'm just the guy that at this time can see clearly instead of an emotional response. I'm usually the emotional response guy.

Visit my Ebay store for action figures, comic books, autographed comics, and more!
New LOWER prices on ALL autographed comics!

Click on my signature to view my Ebay items!
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #60
Deb
Owner/Maid
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $536349
Send a message via AIM to Deb Send a message via MSN to Deb Send a message via Yahoo to Deb

Jerry it would be a boring world if we all shared the same opinions on everything

"And in the depths of winter, I found in me am invincible summer."
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #61
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Flying Steel Champion! Word Search 69 My Body Champion! Shooting Practice Champion!
Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $53298

Quote:
Jerry it would be a boring world if we all shared the same opinions on everything
It certainly would. I'm just glad that no one is going to hold my opinion against me.

Visit my Ebay store for action figures, comic books, autographed comics, and more!
New LOWER prices on ALL autographed comics!

Click on my signature to view my Ebay items!
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #62
SoonerChuck
All Pro

SoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $63520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
It certainly would. I'm just glad that no one is going to hold my opinion against me.
Jerry and his damned opinions.

SoonerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #63
Reaper
2013 NCAA Swami Champ!
Lottery Pick

Flying Gonzo Champion! Black and White Mahjong 2 Champion! Mahjong Solitare Champion! Dynomite Champion! Morplee Champion!
Reaper is a name known to allReaper is a name known to allReaper is a name known to allReaper is a name known to allReaper is a name known to allReaper is a name known to all
My Mood:

: $18131

Quote:

WATE 6 News
4 hours ago

Two or three Vets to each school sounds great! You have a faster response and the thought of a few trained Vets at each site may keep people at bay!

Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #64
Reveryroadie
Roadie/NFL Swami/Co-Owner
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $84244
Send a message via Yahoo to Reveryroadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Two or three Vets to each school sounds great! You have a faster response and the thought of a few trained Vets at each site may keep people at bay!
the Idea of Vets is a good one, but i do not think it "will keep people at bay" as you suggest. Criminals do not care about others, so if they even think they have a small chance of getting in the school/mall/movie theater, they will. their mental illness is what drives them, not their opposition.

Reveryroadie is offline   Reply With Quote