Source: UCLA's Myles Jack secures $5M policy... Pujols becomes 26th to reach 500 homers.. Kentucky freshman Randle entering draft.. Pacers rally past Hawks 101-85 to even series.. Spears: McDaniels plans to enter draft.. Weir, Lipinski to cover fashion at Kentucky Derby.. Popovich wins NBA Coach of Year award.. Brewers' Gomez banned 3 games for brawl.. Fernandez Ks 14 Braves, Marlins win 1-0.. Canadiens sweep Lightning after 4-3 win..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > Jabber Gallery of Other Major Sports > General Sports Jabber

Notices

General Sports Jabber Soccer, MMA, NASCAR, Boxing, LFL, IndyCar, WNBA, Tennis, Golf, High School, Australian Rules Football, NCAA Basketball Offseason, & more
Milford Sound in New Zealand

Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Deb
Owner/Maid
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $536349
Send a message via AIM to Deb Send a message via MSN to Deb Send a message via Yahoo to Deb
Question Who is the best american soccer player right now?

Who is the best american soccer player right now?

"And in the depths of winter, I found in me am invincible summer."
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
SOS4Prez
HEY, language.
HOF'er (retired jersey)

SOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $37088
Send a message via AIM to SOS4Prez Send a message via Yahoo to SOS4Prez

Lee Nguyen.
"There are a million ways we should've died before today. And a million ways we can die before tomorrow. But we fight. For every second we get to spend with each other. Whether it's two minutes or two days... we don't give that up. I don't wanna give that up. My vote? Let's just wait it out. We can be all poetic and just lose our minds together."
SOS4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Robert
Figment of Imagination
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Robert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $68383

Michael Bradley. And, in my opinion, it's not even close to being a discussion. The other two guys who normally would be in this discussion can't seem to get out of their own way (Donovan not sure if he even wants to play again and Dempsey's incredibly erratic club form). I'd even say that Tim Howard is second on my list at the moment.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
scoobay
Athletic Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Michael Bradley. And, in my opinion, it's not even close to being a discussion. The other two guys who normally would be in this discussion can't seem to get out of their own way (Donovan not sure if he even wants to play again and Dempsey's incredibly erratic club form). I'd even say that Tim Howard is second on my list at the moment.
can't disagree... but man thinking about that, US soccer just so much worse than the rest of the world.

i remember years ago when Adu was just getting started and he was the next big thing... anyone coming up on the horizon for Team USA soccer?
scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Robert
Figment of Imagination
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Robert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobay View Post
can't disagree... but man thinking about that, US soccer just so much worse than the rest of the world.

i remember years ago when Adu was just getting started and he was the next big thing... anyone coming up on the horizon for Team USA soccer?
There are tons of players that I could name for you... Josh Gatt (at the top of my list), Joe Corona, Mix Diskerud, Joe Gyau, Amobi Okugo, Will Packwood and John Anthony Brooks.

And I wouldn't say that the US is worse than a whole bunch of countries, it is just a transition time. A lot of the guys who have been around for the past few World Cups will be gone by the time the trip to Brazil happens in the summer of 2014. Donovan is likely done. Carlos Bocanegra will probably retire from international duty soon so he continue his club career. As much as I love him, Cherundolo's career is going to come to a close soon. And a host of other guys from the last World Cup are already falling by the wayside for other reasons (yep, I'm talking about you, Ricardo Clark). But with players like Danny Williams, Fabian Johnson and, hopefully, Tim Chandler coming into their own and taking over... I'm very optimistic about the near future. Of course, I'm also a member of the American Outlaws, so I'm naturally excited about the US squad.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
scoobay
Athletic Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
There are tons of players that I could name for you... Josh Gatt (at the top of my list), Joe Corona, Mix Diskerud, Joe Gyau, Amobi Okugo, Will Packwood and John Anthony Brooks.

And I wouldn't say that the US is worse than a whole bunch of countries, it is just a transition time. A lot of the guys who have been around for the past few World Cups will be gone by the time the trip to Brazil happens in the summer of 2014. Donovan is likely done. Carlos Bocanegra will probably retire from international duty soon so he continue his club career. As much as I love him, Cherundolo's career is going to come to a close soon. And a host of other guys from the last World Cup are already falling by the wayside for other reasons (yep, I'm talking about you, Ricardo Clark). But with players like Danny Williams, Fabian Johnson and, hopefully, Tim Chandler coming into their own and taking over... I'm very optimistic about the near future. Of course, I'm also a member of the American Outlaws, so I'm naturally excited about the US squad.
thanks! i'm not as big into soccer so just not familiar with many guys - i'll keep a look out for those names you mentioned though.

i wonder if you (or anyone else) could comment on a couple players i read about in ESPN magazine

Brek Shea - about a year ago he was listed as one of the players who was "next"
Aron Johannsson - US born but plays in Denmark - there was some speculation maybe he'd play for the US?

thanks
scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Robert
Figment of Imagination
HOF'er (retired jersey)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobay View Post
thanks! i'm not as big into soccer so just not familiar with many guys - i'll keep a look out for those names you mentioned though.

i wonder if you (or anyone else) could comment on a couple players i read about in ESPN magazine

Brek Shea - about a year ago he was listed as one of the players who was "next"
Aron Johannsson - US born but plays in Denmark - there was some speculation maybe he'd play for the US?

thanks
Sure thing! I love it when anyone wants to talk about the sport. I've become a bigger fan of soccer year by year since I started watching Arsenal play back in 2001.

Brek Shea has a bright future in front of him, he just needs to mature a bit mentally. He had a rough season (both on a form and injury front) and probably should have moved on from the MLS instead of resigning with FC Dallas this past year. But he's only 22, he has a big frame, is great with the ball at his feet, very good at crossing into the box and can absolutely fly. So, while he isn't in the discussion for a spot on the roster at the moment, he will be and he will be there for a long while.

I can't see any way that Johannsson plays for the US. Without even going into the debate on whether or not he would actually be better than any of the other young forwards that the US has in its program, both Johannsson and his agent haven't even considered filing the paperwork with FIFA that would be required for him to play for the US (he played for the Iceland youth squads).