Top Headlines: Guthrie, Hudson facing off in Game 7... NCAA bans Georgia RB Gurley 2 more games.. Jones: Romo may be game-time decision.. YSM: Paralympian's cool Halloween costume.. Lakers rookie F Randle out for season.. Bengals LB Burfict out at least 2 games.... Rondo starting Celtics' opener vs. Nets..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > The Sports Bar > Random Jabber

Notices

Random Jabber Talk About Whatever Pops into Your Head

Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Deb
Miss Ya Big Guy
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $536349
Send a message via AIM to Deb Send a message via MSN to Deb Send a message via Yahoo to Deb
Music Yoko Ono reveals why the Beatles broke up

Yoko Ono Talks About Other Beatles’ Resentment Of Becoming ‘Paul’s Band’

Was the Beatles’ breakup partly due to the fact that the semi-democratic band was on the verge of turning into “Paul McCartney and the Beatles”?

“John, in fact, was not the first one who wanted to leave the Beatles,” says Yoko Ono in a newly released interview. “Ringo one night with Maureen (Starkey, his first wife) came to John and me and said, well, he wanted to leave. And George was the next, and then John. Paul was the only one who was trying to hold the Beatles together. But then again, the other three felt that Paul was going to hold the Beatles together as his band. They were getting to be like Paul's band, which they didn't like.”

McCartney and Ono (Lester Cohen/WireImage/Getty Images)

If John Lennon’s widow sounds a little less conciliatory and political about this than she has lately, that’s because this is the still slightly bristling Yoko Ono of 1987, who has come to us in a time machine to offer some thoughts less filtered by the passage of time. Her lengthy take on the breakup is a big chunk of a previously unpublished conversation with record industry mogul Joe Smith, which has just been made available as an audio file by the Library of Congress.

At one point in the chat, Smith says that he and a lot of people in the music industry had been rooting in the 1970s against the Beatles getting back together, lest they come back with substandard material and tarnish their brilliant ‘60s legacy.

Ono agrees and, after flatly declaring “I did not break up the Beatles,” adds: “You can’t have it both ways. If you’re going to blame me for breaking the Beatles up, you should be thankful that I made them into myth rather than a crumbling group.”

She also maintains that the resentment Ringo Starr and especially George Harrison may have felt about being second-class citizens in the supposed democracy may have fed into the breakup.

“In the early days Paul and John wrote the songs. Rather, John and Paul,” she said, correcting the order with a chuckle. “George didn’t write much, and Ringo especially didn’t write at all. When George started to write a lot of songs in the end, it was like, who’s gonna get the space? John was really trying to protect George and not ignore him and put (in) as many songs of George’s as possible. But frankly there wasn’t much space for that on one album, and they can’t keep on making double albums. So in a way all three of them were outgrowing the Beatles. I think Ringo was getting interested in film, and George was more interested in playing with Ravi Shankar.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-th...204042501.html

"And in the depths of winter, I found in me am invincible summer."
Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Reveryroadie
Roadie/NFL Swami/Co-Owner
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $84244
Send a message via Yahoo to Reveryroadie

just admit the truth, it was all Courtney Loves fault LOL

Reveryroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Deb
Miss Ya Big Guy
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to Deb Send a message via MSN to Deb Send a message via Yahoo to Deb

Back in the day she sure was a hated woman

Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Flying Steel Champion! Word Search 69 My Body Champion! Shooting Practice Champion!
Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $53298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Back in the day she sure was a hated woman
Can't say that I'm very fond of her now, even.

Visit my Ebay store for action figures, comic books, autographed comics, and more!
New LOWER prices on ALL autographed comics!

Click on my signature to view my Ebay items!
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Deb
Miss Ya Big Guy
HOF'er (retired jersey)

My Mood:

All I can think of is that singing voice kinda like scratching glass.

Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
rondo
All Pro

rondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to behold
: $50664
Send a message via ICQ to rondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Can't say that I'm very fond of her now, even.
Ditto. Took the words right out of my mouth.

rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
ragman
Hometown Hero

ragman will become famous soon enough
: $4475

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondo View Post
Ditto. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Agreed.

@ Deb-Her singing voice reminded me of fingernails on a blackboard.
ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
LMD
All Beauty Fades
Lottery Pick

Slingo Delux Champion!
LMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond reputeLMD has a reputation beyond repute
: $35364

We all know they broke up because Lennon wanted to toss away his career and do God knows whatever the fuck he wound up doing with her, so why do these stories keep cropping up of her deflecting blame? What's she going to say? "Yeah, I ruined the Beatles. I broke them up. No one else wanted me in the band, so I stole John and made him put the kabosh on the Beatles."

All you need to do is watch a live performance of Lennon, Yoko and ANYONE else and see the reactions that people have when Yoko picks up the mic (My personal favorite being Chuck Berry, who was caught so offguard by it, they wound up turning Yoko's mic off midway through one performance. ). The Beatles broke up because Paul, Ringo and/or George were smart enough to not want that anywhere near their work.

Credit to MattyP.

LMD is offline   Reply With Quote