Forums

Top Headlines: Bengals-Steelers will be last game of Week 17.. Packers fans struck by lightning in Tampa.. Giants, Rams comes to blows multiple times... Romo now Cowboys' all-time passing leader.. Winston cleared in FSU code of conduct case.... Saints eliminated from NFC South race with loss.. Several fans struck by lightning after Bucs game.. Panthers' victory sets up winner-take-all clash.. Pats clinch bye with win against Jets.. Flacco's bad day may cost Ravens playoff spot..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > Scott Wedell Memorial Forum (NCAA Sports) > NCAA Pigskin Jabber

Notices

NCAA Pigskin Jabber

Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Dogphins
Blue Chipper

Dogphins has a spectacular aura aboutDogphins has a spectacular aura aboutDogphins has a spectacular aura about
My Mood:

: $24599
Question Question

I see in the standing that there are a few teams that are not eligible for postseason - UTSA, Ohio State, Penn State, North Carolina, Miami.

Can someone tell me why please?

"Metal brothers raise your hands, together we are strong
Spread the Metal through the world, we will carry on
Never do what they say, walk against the wind
Heavy Metal never dies"

Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Brandon
Blue Chipper

Darts Champion! 501 Darts Version 2 Champion!
Brandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to all
My Mood:

: $23472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogphins View Post
I see in the standing that there are a few teams that are not eligible for postseason - UTSA, Ohio State, Penn State, North Carolina, Miami.

They are on sanctions for various reasons.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Reveryroadie
Roadie/NFL Swami/Co-Owner
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $84244
Send a message via Yahoo to Reveryroadie

Quote:

Ohio State - 1 year bowl ban(2012 season) for players getting free tattoos, and coach Tressel claiming to have no knowledge of it.

Penn State - 4 year post season ban due to Jerry Sandusky scandal

Miami - due to pending NCAA sanctions(Nelvin Shapiro allegedly gave 72 current and former players money) the university decided to forgo postseason play

UTSA - Joined CUSA in 2013 and is not bowl elligible until 2014.

UNC - 1 year post season ban due to academic fraud and players receiving improper benefits.

Reveryroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Dogphins
Blue Chipper

Dogphins has a spectacular aura aboutDogphins has a spectacular aura aboutDogphins has a spectacular aura about
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveryroadie View Post
Ohio State - 1 year bowl ban(2012 season) for players getting free tattoos, and coach Tressel claiming to have no knowledge of it.

Penn State - 4 year post season ban due to Jerry Sandusky scandal

Miami - due to pending NCAA sanctions(Nelvin Shapiro allegedly gave 72 current and former players money) the university decided to forgo postseason play

UTSA - Joined CUSA in 2013 and is not bowl elligible until 2014.

UNC - 1 year post season ban due to academic fraud and players receiving improper benefits.
Thanks, Rev

I did notice that UTSA had recently come up into the FBS...as well as a few other teams (I quite behind, sorry)...can you tell me as I haven't noticed any teams coming up into the FBS in a long long time, why now are they allowing it and what do these teams have to do to come up into the FBS from the FCS??

Heavy Metal never dies"

Dogphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
Reveryroadie
Roadie/NFL Swami/Co-Owner
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $84244
Send a message via Yahoo to Reveryroadie

Quote:
Thanks, Rev

I did notice that UTSA had recently come up into the FBS...as well as a few other teams (I quite behind, sorry)...can you tell me as I haven't noticed any teams coming up into the FBS in a long long time, why now are they allowing it and what do these teams have to do to come up into the FBS from the FCS??
Here in Norfolk, Old Dominion University is moving from FCS to CUSA. they do it for the money. Schools can get bigger revenue from Div 1A sports(especially football) than in Div. 1AA. In 2013 ODU will play as a CAA(Div 1AA) independant, but they are scheduling some 1A games. in 2014 they will play a full slate of CUSA games, they will be considered a "transition" team, meaning all though they will play a Div 1A schedule they are not bowl or conference championship eligible. They can petition the CUSA to be allowed to play for the conference title, and also ask the NCAA to allow them to be bowl eligible. if the NCAA says no they would become bowl eligible in 2015.

Div 1A schools get 83 scholarships for football, and this helps with recruiting. they also get more TV exposure, and TV Money.

Reveryroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Herchel
Blue Chipper

Herchel is a glorious beacon of lightHerchel is a glorious beacon of lightHerchel is a glorious beacon of lightHerchel is a glorious beacon of lightHerchel is a glorious beacon of light
: $13816

Quote:
what do these teams have to do to come up into the FBS from the FCS??
One of the requirements used to be a stadium capacity of 30,000.

Herchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
SoonerChuck
All Pro

SoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerChuck has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $63520

Basic eligibility requirements to move up to FBS from FCS - abbreviated version

1.Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the
minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20.
Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams
(males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all
female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight
varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [Bylaw 20.9.7.1]

2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football
Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home
contests against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.7.2]

3. Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a
rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.3]

4. Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall
football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.4-(a)]

5. Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grants-in-aid or expend at least four million dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs. [Bylaw 20.9.7.4-(b)]

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D110.pdf

SoonerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Dogphins
Blue Chipper

My Mood:

Thanks, Rev, Sooner and herchel....you made it all very clear and informative

Heavy Metal never dies"

Dogphins is offline   Reply With Quote