Top Headlines: Johnson, Earnhardt Jr. out of Chase.. Rams use trick plays to stun Seahawks SEC first to put 4 teams in top 5.. Talladega win keeps Keselowski in Chase.. Murray tops 100 again to lift Cowboys.. Santos' 48-yard field goal lifts Chiefs over Bolts.. Stafford's 2 TD passes late rally Lions.. Bills stun Vikings 17-16 on TD at :01.. Kelly: FSU rewarded for blown coverage..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > The Sports Bar > Random Jabber

Notices

Random Jabber Talk About Whatever Pops into Your Head

Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
DupuisLesRapide
Super Duper Moderator
Lottery Pick

DupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to all
: $13724
Default Is Nintendo finished as a video game hardware developer?

With the 3DS and WiiU having disappointing (to put it lightly) sales in both the US and Japan, Nintendo seems to be on their way to joining Atari and Sega in the land of We-Once-Made-Hardware. It seems as though they have been completely eclipsed by Sony and Microsoft, and they really have no one to blame but themselves.

This is really the culmination of many generations of being behind the times (and competition) for Nintendo. The N64 was a solid system (was still ultimately obliterated by the PS1), but it was still cartridge-based when the Playstation and Sega Saturn were CD/DVD based (they didn't really didn't move on to full CD/DVDs until the Wii as the Gamecube used mini-DVDs). The Gamecube only beat out the Dreamcast, and for good reason. Hell, they couldn't even beat out the under-marketed, overpriced Xbox.

Part of the reason for the 3DS' poor sales are smart phones and tablets. They're nearly, if not more, powerful, plus they have more capabilities. It's only a matter of time before game companies are pumping out Apple and Google versions of their games and leaving the handhelds behind. The PS Vita has really had horrible sales, too.

*I fully expect the 3DS and PS Vita to be the last gaming-first attempt at handheld systems.

Why does no one want a WiiU?

1. The Wii. 5 years ago, everyone wanted one. 4 years ago, everyone had one. 3 years ago, everyone was let down as they realized they had once again bought another piece of sub-par piece of technology (no HDMI, lesser graphics capability, horrendous online experience, etc.) from Nintendo.

2. It was all made worse by the company's obvious push to market towards kids and families. Kids are the stereotype gamer in the media, even though the vast majority of the people who buy games are actually over 17. In fact, the age of the average gamer is about 36 years old (which is also why the only way Microsoft could get the Kinect to come close to breaking even was to ram it down people's throats). This strategy lead to the system getting watered down versions of M rated titles, "kidified" versions of games like Madden and FIFA, and what seems like dozens of games that require some sort of gimmicky accessory. Not even 50 Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Metroid games could save them this time around.

3. Timing. The economy isn't great, yes, but that honestly doesn't really matter. The system only costs $300-$350 and people are more than willing to throw down many times that amount for an iPhone, iPad or another tablet, a TV, a laptop, etc. right now. I sort of get why they wanted to be the first system out this time around: the "winner" of each generation of systems has generally been the first to be released. The only problem with this is, again, the Wii. Nintendo separated themselves so far from the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 that it basically stood on its own as "the kid and family system." Releasing the WiiU so long before the PS4 and the next gen Xbox seems to have further entrenched this idea into the minds of many people.

I don't think anything can save them at this point as a hardware developer. The one positive to take from this may be Nintendo finally making Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc. available for tablets, phones, PCs, and other consoles. Oh, Pokemon, too.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Flying Steel Champion! Word Search 69 My Body Champion! Shooting Practice Champion!
Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $53298

I enjoyed both Gamecube and Dreamcast. Both were excellent systems, they just never go the support from developers.

Just two examples... Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube is a superior game to the PS2 version, and I would say the same thing about Code Veronica.

As for the Wii? I never considered it a true gaming system. It's more of a casual gamer type thing, but I know that PC gamers say similar things about consoles anyhow.

While I think you're likely right, I would never count Nintendo out. Just when you think they couldn't make anymore stinkers, they come out with something unique.

Visit my Ebay store for action figures, comic books, autographed comics, and more!
New LOWER prices on ALL autographed comics!

Click on my signature to view my Ebay items!
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
DupuisLesRapide
Super Duper Moderator
Lottery Pick

DupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to allDupuisLesRapide is a name known to all
: $13724

The Dreamcast was way ahead of its time with the online stuff. The controller was also pretty awesome.

DupuisLesRapide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Dogphins
Blue Chipper

Dogphins has a spectacular aura aboutDogphins has a spectacular aura aboutDogphins has a spectacular aura about
My Mood:

: $24599

I was one who never had a Gamecube or a Wii....I never liked the look of those two consols and the controllers were awful.

I was a Nintendo fan back in the days of the NES and SuperNES, but I also had a Genesis. But I sold the whole lot and ended up getting a PS1. I've never looked back since then, have since gotten a PS2 and 3. Not an Xbox fan, I've heard too many horror stories about that system.

As for Nintendo, I do feel that there are behind the 8 ball and quite far behind Sony and Microsoft. They just might have to do what Sega did and just become a 3rd party game developer instead. If you can't beat 'em....

"Metal brothers raise your hands, together we are strong
Spread the Metal through the world, we will carry on
Never do what they say, walk against the wind
Heavy Metal never dies"

Dogphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Flying Steel Champion! Word Search 69 My Body Champion! Shooting Practice Champion!
Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $53298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogphins View Post
I've heard too many horror stories about that system.
Like what kind of horror stories?

Like getting your credit card information stolen off of it's network? Not having enough games to play, or not having that many friends to play online with?

Haha.

I'm assuming you're talking about the "red ring of death"? I've only had the problem once and it was about a year after I had gotten a 360...they replaced it for free, and I haven't had a problem since then. Three plus years on this machine until I decided to buy the R2-D2 unit for the 350 GB hard drive. Both work perfectly, and while I do pay $50 a year for Xbox Live, I wouldn't trade that for any other type of gaming network.

Still, whatever you like best is what you should stick with. I'm with Xbox. I am planning on buying a PS3 though for Last of Us, but that game is about it and I would like to get a blu ray player.

Visit my Ebay store for action figures, comic books, autographed comics, and more!
New LOWER prices on ALL autographed comics!

Click on my signature to view my Ebay items!
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
MOYE
DOMINATING THE STATE
Lottery Pick

Bowling Master Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion!
MOYE has a brilliant futureMOYE has a brilliant futureMOYE has a brilliant futureMOYE has a brilliant futureMOYE has a brilliant futureMOYE has a brilliant futureMOYE has a brilliant futureMOYE has a brilliant futureMOYE has a brilliant futureMOYE has a brilliant futureMOYE has a brilliant future
My Mood:

: $8875
Send a message via AIM to MOYE

The GameCube had Kirby Air Ride, officially earning it the title of Greatest System in Recorded History.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Dogphins
Blue Chipper

Dogphins has a spectacular aura aboutDogphins has a spectacular aura aboutDogphins has a spectacular aura about
My Mood:

: $24599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Like what kind of horror stories?

Like getting your credit card information stolen off of it's network? Not having enough games to play, or not having that many friends to play online with?

Haha.

I'm assuming you're talking about the "red ring of death"? I've only had the problem once and it was about a year after I had gotten a 360...they replaced it for free, and I haven't had a problem since then. Three plus years on this machine until I decided to buy the R2-D2 unit for the 350 GB hard drive. Both work perfectly, and while I do pay $50 a year for Xbox Live, I wouldn't trade that for any other type of gaming network.

Still, whatever you like best is what you should stick with. I'm with Xbox. I am planning on buying a PS3 though for Last of Us, but that game is about it and I would like to get a blu ray player.
Almost everyone I know who has an Xbox, has had the red rings of death at least once...i guess i am a Playstation fan...have no interest in getting an Xbox

"Metal brothers raise your hands, together we are strong
Spread the Metal through the world, we will carry on
Never do what they say, walk against the wind
Heavy Metal never dies"

Dogphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
G-men
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Helicopter Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
G-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond reputeG-men has a reputation beyond repute
: $105024

I've had the same Xbox for 4 years or so and(fingers crossed) never had a single problem with it
G-men is offline   Reply With Quote