McIlroy wins British for third major.. Despite struggles, Woods eyes Ryder Cup.. Despaigne has no-no into 8th, Padres win.. Smyly helps Tigers avoid sweep to Tribe.. Rams' Dunbar, NBA's Greene fight at club.. Werth's hit in 9th lifts Nats by Brewers.. Wozniacki wins first WTA title of year.. McIlroy's dad wins bet with son's win.. Gray wins fifth straight as A's rout O's..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > The Sports Bar > Random Jabber

Notices

Random Jabber Talk About Whatever Pops into Your Head

Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Deb
Owner/Maid
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $536349
Send a message via AIM to Deb Send a message via MSN to Deb Send a message via Yahoo to Deb
News Fast-Food Chains Cut Worker Hours, Blame Obamacare

Count Wendy’s (WEN) as the latest fast-food restaurant to respond to Obamacare with a reduction in worker hours. Following some other chains that have made headlines recently, a Wendy’s franchise owner in Omaha, Neb., told about 100 workers in the area that their hours would be cut in anticipation of mandates in the Affordable Care Act (ACA).

According to a local TV station, the store said that employees in non-management positions will have their hours reduced to 28 a week. A spokesman blamed the cuts on the new law that, beginning in 2014, will require employers to offer health coverage to employees who log at least 30 hours a week, or pay a penalty starting at $2,000 per worker. The Wendy’s spokesman said, as a small-business owner, he can't afford to stay in operation and pay for everyone's health insurance. Under the law, any company that has more than 50 full-time workers falls under the new health insurance mandate.

According to a report from an Oklahoma station on Monday, a Taco Bell (YUM) in Guthrie, Okla., adopted a similar policy.

And in October, Darden Restaurants (DRI), which owns Olive Garden and Red Lobster, said it has stopped offering full-time schedules to many hourly workers in at least a few of its restaurants in an “experiment aimed at keeping down the cost of health care reform.” Soon after the company said it would back off somewhat from its plan, presumably and at least in part because of the negative reaction following the announcement.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...224911846.html

"And in the depths of winter, I found in me am invincible summer."
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
DupuisLesRapide
Super Duper Moderator
Lottery Pick

DupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of light
: $13724

We were pretty much told this sort of thing would happen, but the President just ignored it. People will lose their jobs, companies will hire less, taxes will increase, and healthcare will skyrocket...and we're told this is a good thing. Lol

DupuisLesRapide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Reveryroadie
Roadie/NFL Swami/Co-Owner
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $84244
Send a message via Yahoo to Reveryroadie

companies would rather pay fines, and cut hours than treat employees fairly and offer them benefits. owners are inherently greedy.

Reveryroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
DupuisLesRapide
Super Duper Moderator
Lottery Pick

DupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of lightDupuisLesRapide is a glorious beacon of light
: $13724

Not really true. Small businesses employ more Americans than any other type of business. A lot of the owners of those places simply can't afford to do anything else but cut back.

Just look at this way, if you have 150 employees, and you're now faced with paying out $2000 more a year per employee, that's $30,000 dollars. If the company is already in a tough situation, the only thing they can do is lay people off to cover that new expense.

If the company is doing OK. Maybe they don't need to lay anyone off, but now, they're definitely not going to be able to hire anyone new.

Not saying there aren't some sleazy, greedy businesses out there, but most are simply doing what is necessary to keep their business afloat.

DupuisLesRapide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Flying Steel Champion! Word Search 69 My Body Champion! Shooting Practice Champion!
Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $53298

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyMikeWallace View Post
Not really true. Small businesses employ more Americans than any other type of business. A lot of the owners of those places simply can't afford to do anything else but cut back.

Not saying there aren't some sleazy, greedy businesses out there, but most are simply doing what is necessary to keep their business afloat.
Yet we're not hearing about small businesses cutting back healthcare and hours. We're only seeing the big corporations doing it.

I think that's what Jon is talking about.

Visit my Ebay store for action figures, comic books, autographed comics, and more!
New LOWER prices on ALL autographed comics!

Click on my signature to view my Ebay items!
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
pooh555
RIP Reg
All Pro

Super Mario Brothers 2 Champion!
pooh555 is a splendid one to beholdpooh555 is a splendid one to beholdpooh555 is a splendid one to beholdpooh555 is a splendid one to beholdpooh555 is a splendid one to beholdpooh555 is a splendid one to behold
My Mood:

: $25681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Yet we're not hearing about small businesses cutting back healthcare and hours. We're only seeing the big corporations doing it.

I think that's what Jon is talking about.
We're not hearing about Small Businesses doing it because they wouldn't turn up on Yahoo, they'd end up on some kind of small local news station, because when you're talking about business, no one would care if it were reported on some national coverage that a family owned pet food store in Albuquerque was cutting employee hours, but if it's a national chain like Wendy's then you'll take notice.

Throughout the whole election we heard both parties espousing how their plan was best for small business, and the only kinds of people we heard weigh in on that were people like the former CEO of Costco.

Has anybody actually bothered to ask a small business what they think about anything that's going on? Probably not, because small business aren't going to provide major votes to either candidate, or the kind of major funding that large corporations can.

pooh555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Flying Steel Champion! Word Search 69 My Body Champion! Shooting Practice Champion!
Jerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond reputeJerry has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh555 View Post
We're not hearing about Small Businesses doing it because they wouldn't turn up on Yahoo, they'd end up on some kind of small local news station, because when you're talking about business, no one would care if it were reported on some national coverage that a family owned pet food store in Albuquerque was cutting employee hours, but if it's a national chain like Wendy's then you'll take notice.

Throughout the whole election we heard both parties espousing how their plan was best for small business, and the only kinds of people we heard weigh in on that were people like the former CEO of Costco.

Has anybody actually bothered to ask a small business what they think about anything that's going on? Probably not, because small business aren't going to provide major votes to either candidate, or the kind of major funding that large corporations can.
Okay, I can see that point of view, but I don't just follow news from Yahoo. I read news sources from other places, including my local news and haven't heard of small businesses doing this.

Not to say that they aren't, but any small businesses here in Lansing that are talked to aren't saying that's what's going on.

Visit my Ebay store for action figures, comic books, autographed comics, and more!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Jerry
East Browns and Down
HOF'er (retired jersey)

My Mood:

Don't get me wrong, as a small business owner myself, I KNOW that politicians from either party are not for me. They only cater to the lobbyists that are paid for by corporations.

I'm not defending either side. I'm condemning them all.