Forums

Broncos owner giving up control due to Alzheimer's.. Rams' Fisher: Sam hasnít been a distraction.. Spears: Lewis loses deal with Mavs over injury.. Colon perfect for 6 2-3, wins in Seattle.. Sterling testimony ends, wife not called... Niners TE Davis reports to training camp.. Mavs' Felton gets plea deal, avoids jail... Ex-P Kluwe backs off suing Vikings.. Padres OF Maybin suspended 25 games..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > Jabber Gallery of Other Major Sports > General Sports Jabber > NHL Jabber

Notices

NHL Jabber We'll bring the pucks & the sticks. You bring the teeth!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Reveryroadie
Roadie/NFL Swami/Co-Owner
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $84244
Send a message via Yahoo to Reveryroadie
Default Bruins Trade G Thomas to Isles for Draft Pick

NEW YORK -- The New York Islanders have acquired goaltender Tim Thomas in a trade with the Boston Bruins, the teams said.

The Islanders' goaltending situation always is interesting, with Thursday's trade for Tim Thomas just another part to the story, writes Katie Strang.

Sure, the Islanders gave up an asset for a goalie who's not even playing, but the move makes a lot of sense for general manager Garth Snow, writes Pierre LeBrun. Blog

The 38-year-old Thomas led the Bruins to the Stanley Cup championship in 2011, but has not played this season.

The Bruins acquired a conditional second-round pick in 2014 or '15 in the deal.

The move is believed to be purely a cap-related transaction. While the Bruins receive cap space from clearing the last year of Thomas' four-year, $20 million contract from the books, the Islanders add some insurance to reach the cap floor.

"He was a great, significant part of our Stanley Cup-winning team. He had a very good career here, and I can't say enough about his contributions to the team," Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said. "The journey he took us on in the Stanley Cup was amazing, and I was happy to be along for the ride."

Added Islanders general manager Garth Snow: "We traded for an asset, and it gives us some flexibility moving forward."

Thomas announced via his personal Facebook account in June that he was taking a year off to spend more time with his family. He held true to his word once the lockout ended and was subsequently suspended by the Bruins.

A source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun that Thomas still doesn't want to play this season. In addition, the Bruins did not need his permission to trade his rights; his no-trade clause disappeared after last season.

"Thomas' situation is status quo," Thomas' agent, Bill Zito, told ESPN The Magazine's Craig Custance. "As far as I know, none of this had anything to do with Tim. In fact, it was news to us when we learned of it."

Assuming he does not play, Thomas will remain suspended (as he was by the Bruins), and the Islanders will not have to pay him any actual salary. Because he has a 35-plus contract, his salary-cap charge counts regardless of whether he plays or not.

Snow also said he had not considered whether he will "toll" Thomas' contract if he does not report.

"I haven't had any conversations internally regarding that, so, to answer your question, we haven't even considered that," Snow said.

When asked whether he actually wanted Thomas to play, Snow sidestepped the question by calling him a "world-class goaltender" with a "great resume."

Thomas, a two-time Vezina Trophy winner as the NHL's top goalie, has played in 378 regular-season games -- all with the Bruins. He is 196-121-45 with a 2.48 goals-against average and 31 shutouts and ranks fourth on Boston's career wins list and third in shutouts,

He also has a 29-21 mark in the postseason with a 2.07 GAA and six shutouts. Thomas won the Vezina and Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP when the Bruins won the Stanley Cup in 2011.

"I've had discussions on and off with the Islanders, regarding this for a while," Chiarelli said. "I don't really want to get into detail. I think I've made it known publically that this is something we would like to try and do at some point, and then build some backside protection into it with the draft pick. I can't speak for Garth, but I know they see him as an asset."

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told ESPN.com the league doesn't negatively view the trade, which appears to be a salary-cap maneuver.

"As long as a player has an active contract that he has the right to return to, absent unusual circumstances, our view is that he remains a 'hockey asset' that a club has a right to trade or acquire," Daly said.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Shiphockey7
The Heart Throb
Blue Chipper

Typing Test Champion! Alphabet Hunter Champion! Bar Sliding Champion!
Shiphockey7 is on a distinguished road
: $4171

helping the Islanders get to the cap floor without having to spend any money.
Shiphockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Reveryroadie
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond reputeReveryroadie has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiphockey7 View Post
helping the Islanders get to the cap floor without having to spend any money.
they were already over the floor. this is them hooing he comes back to play and they can injury settle with Dipietro

Reveryroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
SOS4Prez
HEY, language.
HOF'er (retired jersey)

SOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $37088
Send a message via AIM to SOS4Prez Send a message via Yahoo to SOS4Prez

Could have gotten nothing at all for Thomas, so I think the Bruins did pretty damn well in this deal.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Shiphockey7
The Heart Throb
Blue Chipper

Typing Test Champion! Alphabet Hunter Champion! Bar Sliding Champion!
Shiphockey7 is on a distinguished road
: $4171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveryroadie View Post
they were already over the floor. this is them hooing he comes back to play and they can injury settle with Dipietro
they were barely above it, this will allow them to make some moves near the trade deadline to unload some contracts - and still be above the floor, thats what I meant.

And more to the point, he is not coming back to play this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS4Prez View Post
Could have gotten nothing at all for Thomas, so I think the Bruins did pretty damn well in this deal.
The deal is for two conditional picks, and those conditions are basically if he will play for the Islanders this season (he will not)
Shiphockey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
SOS4Prez
HEY, language.
HOF'er (retired jersey)

SOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $37088
Send a message via AIM to SOS4Prez Send a message via Yahoo to SOS4Prez

Money off the books, is what I mean.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Reveryroadie
HOF'er (retired jersey)

My Mood:

I expect the Isles to "toll" his contract till next year, so they can keep him with them for another year. this will also give them the option to hold on to him, or trade him for something else.

Reveryroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Gabs
NHL Mod
Hometown Hero

Gabs has a spectacular aura aboutGabs has a spectacular aura about
My Mood:

: $6629

I doubt the Islanders will be able to move him because of two things:
A) He will be 39 next year!
B) Not playing professional hockey for a year will definitely take its toll on him...

Sure, he may be capable of playing good hockey, but don't expect to see the same Timmy we saw a couple years ago.

Gabs is offline   Reply With Quote