Forums

Top Headlines: Astros fire Porter, Lawless takes over.. Pats' Gronkowski says he'll play Week 1... 7th-seeded Bouchard latest top woman out.. Welker back at practice after concussion... Cardinals beat Pirates to move into 1st.. Dunn homers in 1st at-bat as A's top Mariners.. Kirk rallies to win the Deutsche Bank....

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > Scott Wedell Memorial Forum (NCAA Sports) > NCAA Pigskin Jabber

Notices

NCAA Pigskin Jabber

Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
NYSR2
Blue Chipper

NYSR2 is a jewel in the roughNYSR2 is a jewel in the roughNYSR2 is a jewel in the roughNYSR2 is a jewel in the rough
: $12101
WTF Mack Brown rips five decommits

Mack Brown claims that he is instituting a new policy at Texas as a result of losing five previously committed recruits this year (and being unable to flip others to replace them). Going forward, any recruit who visits another school will be considered like a cheating spouse, so Brown will threaten to yank the Texas commitment. Has this guy totally lost it????

Funny how it is quite proper for a young man to decommit and go to Limphorn U, but if it goes the other way, the recruit is devoid of character.

Mack, why was it quite okay for you to entertain Daje Johnson and flip him from TCU last year the weekend before signing day, yet this year Hicks is a low class traitor for telling you In DECEMBER that he was changing to TCU?

I would say Brown needs to man up, but he is beyond that possibility.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
NDSMC78
Super Moderator
Lottery Pick

Scramble! Champion! Marble Motion Champion!
NDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to behold
: $30881

Mack Brown is not the only coach to do this. Fitzgerald at Northwestern has the same policy.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Brandon
Blue Chipper

Darts Champion! 501 Darts Version 2 Champion!
Brandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to all
My Mood:

: $23472

Honestly, I don't blame him. The recruiting game is so ugly. It's become a long-time spectacle and kids are committing early just to assure a spot on a D1 college. That's it.

The reason USC had so many de-commits is because they had these kids commit early in the process due to their limited rides. Then they essentially flirt with other schools and if they find a better fit, they flip. Even if it is on NSD.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Reg
Ray's #2 Hero/Gramps
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud of
My Mood:

: $303068
Send a message via Yahoo to Reg

Mack wants his cake and eat it too. It may backfire on him. Top recruits, who are being courted by various top schools may decide to skip Texas. Or they may commit to Texas and then say "screw you Mack" and visit whoever they want to...cuz top recruits don't need Texas.

I would implore recruits to maintain as much control of their destination as possible as this will be one of the few times they can as they progress thru college and NFL (if they get there). Schools can & will drop scholarships at a whim to suit their desires and NFL contracts aren't worth the commitment level of the paper on which they're written.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Brandon
Blue Chipper

Darts Champion! 501 Darts Version 2 Champion!
Brandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to allBrandon is a name known to all
My Mood:

: $23472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Mack wants his cake and eat it too. It may backfire on him. Top recruits, who are being courted by various top schools may decide to skip Texas. Or they may commit to Texas and then say "screw you Mack" and visit whoever they want to...cuz top recruits don't need Texas.

I would implore recruits to maintain as much control of their destination as possible as this will be one of the few times they can as they progress thru college and NFL (if they get there). Schools can & will drop scholarships at a whim to suit their desires and NFL contracts aren't worth the commitment level of the paper on which they're written.
Right. Unfortunately, recruiting has become a business and has been glorified by so many factors. I begin to even hate social media as it closer to NSD.

As for the dropping of scholarships, teams do it all the time. UCLA dropped Eddie Printz from his offer. Plenty of teams oversign, then "sort out" the numbers later. It's horrible, but it's happening.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Dalton
Athletic Supporter

Dalton is on a distinguished road
: $2000

After that kid that has the Auburn tattoo but is going to Bama nothing surprises me anymore in college football recruiting.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Robert
Figment of Imagination
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Robert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond reputeRobert has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $68383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
After that kid that has the Auburn tattoo but is going to Bama nothing surprises me anymore in college football recruiting.
He says the tattoo is to remember his friend who was an Auburn football player and died last year, which is why it also has a number on it (and apparently adding angel wings soon).

But as for the general discussion, this story is written about every year after some coach gets angry because he loses commitments. Last year is was Les Miles telling everyone that Gunner Kiel didn't have the "chest" to lead his program. A few years ago it was Lane Kiffin telling Alshon Jeffery that he'd be pumping gas for a living if he chose South Carolina over Tennessee. This isn't new.

Robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
NDSMC78
Super Moderator
Lottery Pick

Scramble! Champion! Marble Motion Champion!
NDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to beholdNDSMC78 is a splendid one to behold
: $30881

ESPN article on the issue. Pretty interesting reading.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...e-little-sense

Tags
tcu football, texas football