Forums

Warriors top foul-prone Clippers 109-105.. Blues top Blackhawks in OT again, up 2-0.. Nets beat Raptors despite 4 of 24 on 3s.. Nats star Harper pulled for not hustling.. Raptors GM uses profanity in fan address.. Kelly, Trump, Bon Jovi pursuing Bills.. Red-hot Buehrle, Reyes' return lift Jays.. Texas shaky at QB to begin Strong era.. Scherzer helps Tigers end skid to Angels.. Chelsea's EPL title hopes take huge blow...

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > NFL Huddle > NFL Jabber

Notices

NFL Jabber The most popular sport in America and our most popular forum. Well, at least until the Waitress Room starts getting new .. "material".
Milford Sound in New Zealand

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Reg
Ray's #2 Hero/Gramps
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud of
My Mood:

: $303068
Send a message via Yahoo to Reg
Eagles ^Update: Vick tries to turn the page on criticism of teammates

07:57 AM ET 01.29 | The clock ticking toward a resolution on Michael Vick's NFL future isn't moving quickly. Much has been made of the fact that $3 million of [Vick's] $16.5 million deal with the Eagles becomes guaranteed if he is on their roster come Feb. 6, but sources said that issue is not a concern at this time, and it's unlikely Vick's contract will be resolved before then. New coach Chip Kelly is evaluating the situation and how Vick fits in his spread offense. The Eagles are determining how much they might be willing to pay Vick, if they do ask him to take a pay cut. ... Neither side is being hasty in forcing a conclusion, and the Eagles still could wind up dealing Vick, for instance, once the league year begins March 13.

CBS Sports
Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Reg
Ray's #2 Hero/Gramps
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud of
My Mood:

Eagles Eagles put off Vick's D-Day

08:01 AM ET 02.06 | Michael Vick's future remains in limbo. As expected, the Eagles will take advantage of a provision in [Vick's] contract and won't release the quarterback before a Wednesday deadline guarantees him $3 million, sources close to the situation said. The clause permits the Eagles to keep Vick on the roster until the start of free agency on March 12 without having to pay the guaranteed figure as long as another team picks him up or pays him more than $3 million. Wednesday was once thought to be D-Day for Vick and the Eagles, but the provision buys new coach Chip Kelly some time before he has to make a decision on the 32-year-old quarterback. The Eagles are not expected to bring Vick back at the $15.5 million salary in his contract.

Philadelphia Inquirer
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
tjw61
Blue Chipper

tjw61 will become famous soon enough
: $19288
Eagles ^UPdate: Vick’s base package is $7 million

Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles agree to deal

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:56 a.m.
Updated: Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:27 p.m.

New Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly has examined Michael Vick's game film and Kelly apparently likes what he sees.

Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer first reported that Vick and the Eagles have worked out a restructured contract. The Eagles website quickly confirmed the move.

The team's website headline is telling: "Vick stays to compete for job."

Nothing is guaranteed for Vick. Second-year pro Nick Foles remains a promising option, although he probably doesn't fit Kelly's offense. It wouldn't be a surprise if Kelly added another interesting name to the mix. Vick will take a big pay cut from his previous $15.5 million salary. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports that Vick can earn "up to" $10 million. NFL.com's Albert Breer reports that Vick's contract is a three-year deal that voids to one year on March 15. (So it's essentially a one-year deal, making Vick eligible to be an unrestricted free agent in 2014).

Vick's deal surely includes a lot of incentives that recognize how unclear his role is at the moment. The Eagles are making it clear that Vick isn't guaranteed anything at this stage, including a roster spot. But they wouldn't make this move unless they thought Vick had a good chance to win the starting job.

This marks a sensible move for both sides. Vick knows that he's not going to find a better situation than the one in Philadelphia with Kelly and a talented group of skill position players. Kelly knows he's not going t find a better option on the free-agent market.

Consider this a one-year trial. It's a "prove it" deal. It's another "last chance" for Vick.

Andy Reid's departure ultimately allowed Vick to get another season with the Eagles. With Kelly on board, it might be a better chance for Vick to find success.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Deb
Owner/Maid
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $536349
Send a message via AIM to Deb Send a message via MSN to Deb Send a message via Yahoo to Deb

Vick’s base package is $7 million

Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2013, 8:26 PM EST

The truth already has trickled out on the contract between the Eagles and quarterback Mike Vick, which is worth “up to” $10 million for one year.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, Vick received a signing bonus of $3.5 million. He also will receive a non-guaranteed of $3.5 million. That’s a base rate of $7 million.

The rest comes from incentives. He can earn up to $500,000 in roster bonuses, with $31,250 for each game in which Vick is on the active 46-man roster. He gets another $1.5 million is he participates in 90 percent of the offensive snaps, and $1 million if the Eagles win the Super Bowl (and if he plays in it).

So it’s a one-year, $7 million deal with $3 million in incentives — at least $1 million of which has a very slim chance of being earned.

"And in the depths of winter, I found in me am invincible summer."
Deb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Reg
Ray's #2 Hero/Gramps
HOF'er (retired jersey)

My Mood:

Eagles Vick plans to be less cautious

08:00 AM ET 02.13 | Some may prefer Michael Vick were more cautious, but the quarterback said that's not where his mindset will be when he approaches 2013. [On Tuesday, Vick said] his recent injury problems came from "trying to protect myself," so he plans to be less cautious as a quarterback. "I think what I have to do is just go out and play lights-out football and not worry about getting hurt," he said on ESPN radio's Mike & Mike in the Morning, aired locally on 97.5 The Fanatic. He also said he hopes to play for another four or five years. The Eagles announced Monday that Vick had agreed to a new deal, allowing him to compete for the starting quarterback job and potentially earn as much as $10 million over the next year.

Philly.com
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
ragman
Hometown Hero

ragman is on a distinguished road
: $4475

Less cautious? What's the Over/Under for the number of games he plays this year?
ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Deb
Owner/Maid
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $536349
Send a message via AIM to Deb Send a message via MSN to Deb Send a message via Yahoo to Deb
DOH

Vick tries to turn the page on criticism of teammates

Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2013, 8:05 PM EST

Lost in the surprising decision of Eagles quarterback Mike Vick to return to the team at a sharply reduced rate for 2013 is the fact that, when the 2012 season ended, Vick seemed to have had enough of his teammates in Philly.

He complained publicly at the time, saying that the lack of effort from other players “pisses [him] off.”

On Saturday, he tried to reconcile those remarks with his decision to play with those players for at least one more year during an appearance on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly.

“I talked to about 15, 16 of my teammates already,” Vick told the radio station. “They know me as a person. They know me as a competitor. I wasn’t pointing the finger at one person. It would have been easy to just point out one group of guys or a couple individuals who I thought could have played better, but I said that including myself.”

But he didn’t include himself when he was criticizing his teammates. Instead, he singled himself out as the one player who went above and beyond for the cause.

“I give 110 percent effort,” Vick said. “My body is scarred up all year. I’m hurt, I’m bruised, get up after every hit and still try and fight and push. I do that for my coaches. I do that for my teammates. And I would expect the same thing in return. . . .

“It’s all about focus, dedication and commitment,” Vick added while he was cleaning out his locker the day after the Eagles lost 11 of 12 games to finish the year 4-12. “Until you get guys who are willing to better themselves week in and week out and want to win, you’re not going to win. And I haven’t played with guys like that.”

And now he’s playing with those guys again. Good luck with that.

"And in the depths of winter, I found in me am invincible summer."
Deb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
NYSR2
Blue Chipper

NYSR2 is a jewel in the roughNYSR2 is a jewel in the roughNYSR2 is a jewel in the roughNYSR2 is a jewel in the rough
: $12101

What Vick said was true.... the Eagles were loaded with overpaid bums who were supposed to be great pick-ups, but were simply playing out the season.
That offensive line was the most pathetic assembly of slow, overweight bums to ever grace an NFL field. It was like they had five Wayne Hunters out there.
Vick never had a chance last year, and was frustrated.
One other factor...the refs have indeed treated him more like a running back and allowed hits on him that other qb's don't have to take without the flags being thrown.
Don't sell this guy short...Kelly is the first NFL coach who is likely to let Vick be Vick.

NYSR2 is offline   Reply With Quote