Forums

Duke freshman F Parker entering draft.. 'Melo plans to opt out, wants to return.. Rangers score 3 in 3rd to top Flyers 4-1.. Missouri's Haith likely heading to Tulsa.. Puig back amid talk of smugglers' threat.. Kentucky freshman G Young to enter draft.. Wainwright beats Nats with 2-hit shutout..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > Jabber Gallery of Other Major Sports > MLB Jabber > Red Sox 24/7

Notices

Red Sox 24/7 All Sox, All the Time 24/7. A smaller version of the original est. 2006

Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
Jeff
Blue Chipper

Jeff has a spectacular aura aboutJeff has a spectacular aura aboutJeff has a spectacular aura about
: $39125

I'd rather Lackey not even show up. Bad influence.

Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #34
SOS4Prez
HEY, language.
HOF'er (retired jersey)

SOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $37088
Send a message via AIM to SOS4Prez Send a message via Yahoo to SOS4Prez

I'm willing to forgive and forget. The whole chicken and beer thing is in my top 5 most overblown stories of all time. Lackey's just got a bit of an attitude. If he really was pitching hurt since he got here, I'm interested to see how he fares healthy. I wouldn't turn my nose up at 200 innings as long as the ERA was below 4.50. He's going to be the #5 after all. I think he wants to prove some people wrong. I mean, Beckett never made an effort to get in shape for the season. At least Lackey has. He's got that going for him already. I think breaking up that duo will nix most of Lackey's issues.
"There are a million ways we should've died before today. And a million ways we can die before tomorrow. But we fight. For every second we get to spend with each other. Whether it's two minutes or two days... we don't give that up. I don't wanna give that up. My vote? Let's just wait it out. We can be all poetic and just lose our minds together."
SOS4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #35
DBTS
City of Champions!
Blue Chipper

DBTS has a spectacular aura aboutDBTS has a spectacular aura about
: $8323

I'd say he's looking pretty in shape.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #36
DBTS
City of Champions!
Blue Chipper

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Three Red Sox players -- Shane Victorino (USA), Alfredo Aceves (Mexico) and Xander Bogaerts (Netherlands) -- have definite commitments to play in the World Baseball Classic.

Non-roster pitcher Jose De La Torre, a 27-year-old right-hander who came to the Sox last July in a trade from Cleveland, is on the provisional roster for his native Puerto Rico but said he hasn’t made a decision yet on whether he will play. Teams have until Feb. 20 to finalize their rosters.

“I’m thinking what is better for me, if I stay here in camp or go there,’’ said De La Torre, who was 1-0 with a 2.45 ERA in 12 appearances for Pawtucket last season.

“I’d love to go. I’d love to pitch for my country. It’s a huge [honor].’’

De La Torre pitched this winter for Caguas, which won the Puerto Rican winter league and went to the Series Caribe. He pitched twice in the series, both times against the Dominican Republic in Hermosillo, Mexico.

Originally drafted by the Mets in 2006, this is De La Torre’s first big-league camp. That’s what makes the decision so difficult.

“I’m excited,’’ he said, broadly smiling. “I’ve done this for so many years, and finally get the opportunity to be in a big-league camp and show what I can do is, I like it. It’s fun.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...ided-about-wbc
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #37
DBTS
City of Champions!
Blue Chipper

Impact of 'options' on roster decisions

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- What often comes into play when teams pare down to the 25-man Opening Day roster is which players still have options, meaning they can be sent to the minors without having to pass through waivers.

Players who are out of options: Craig Breslow, Felix Doubront, Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Miller, Franklin Morales, Clayton Mortensen, David Ross, Pedro Ciriaco, Jonny Gomes, Daniel Nava.

Players with options remaining: Alfredo Aceves, Andrew Bailey, Daniel Bard, Drake Britton, Clay Buchholz, Daniel Butler, Rubby De La Rosa, Ryan Dempster, Stephen Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Mauro Gomez, Alex Hassan, Brock Holt, Jose Iglesias, Ryan Kalish, John Lackey, Ryan Lavarnway, Jon Lester, Will Middlebrooks, Mike Napoli, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehara, Christian Vazquez, Shane Victorino, Allen Webster, Alex Wilson, Steven Wright.

What does all of that mean? Obviously, the fact that an Ortiz or Dempster have options left means nothing. Where it does matter is the discussion of bullpen spots, catcher, backup infielder, backup outfielder, and rotation.

Bullpen: The fact that Mortensen is out of options likely means the Sox will attempt to move him this spring, since there doesn’t appear to be a spot in the bullpen for him. But chances are that teams will wait until he is placed on waivers, and it’s possible he could clear and be assigned to Pawtucket.

It becomes more relevant for Morales. Breslow is signed to a two-year deal, so he will be one lefty in the pen. Miller pitched well in that role last season, and would appear to have the inside track for the other. Morales also seems to be a longshot for the rotation, so he could be a trade target this spring. He won’t pass through waivers unclaimed.

Catcher: Ryan Lavarnway still has options, which is why the Sox can postpone making a decision on his future and send him back to Pawtucket, as unhappy as that might make him.

Bench positions: Nava is out of options, so that could give him an inside track for an extra outfielder’s job, although the Sox probably wouldn’t be afraid to expose him to waivers. He has cleared before. Ciriaco is out of options, which probably gives him the inside track over Brock Holt and Drew Sutton, although Sutton’s versatility -- he can play both infield and outfield -- should earn him a long look.

Starting rotation: Pawtucket has the makings of a terrific rotation, with the Sox holding options on De La Rosa, Webster, Britton and Wright. A great spring by any of them could tempt the Sox to move one of the Big 5 -- Lackey? -- but the Sox may prefer to keep the depth the young arms provide.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...ster-decisions
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #38
SOS4Prez
HEY, language.
HOF'er (retired jersey)

SOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond reputeSOS4Prez has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $37088
Send a message via AIM to SOS4Prez Send a message via Yahoo to SOS4Prez

Maybe a package deal of Morales, Bailey, Mortensen and possibly Lavarnway for someone?
"There are a million ways we should've died before today. And a million ways we can die before tomorrow. But we fight. For every second we get to spend with each other. Whether it's two minutes or two days... we don't give that up. I don't wanna give that up. My vote? Let's just wait it out. We can be all poetic and just lose our minds together."
SOS4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #39
DBTS
City of Champions!
Blue Chipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS4Prez View Post
Maybe a package deal of Morales, Bailey, Mortensen and possibly Lavarnway for someone?
Sounds good.