Forums

Top Headlines: Guthrie, Hudson facing off in Game 7... NCAA bans Georgia RB Gurley 2 more games.. Jones: Romo may be game-time decision.. YSM: Paralympian's cool Halloween costume.. Lakers rookie F Randle out for season.. Bengals LB Burfict out at least 2 games.... Rondo starting Celtics' opener vs. Nets..

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > Jabber Gallery of Other Major Sports > Mighty Klingon Warrior Reg's NBA Jabber

Notices

Mighty Klingon Warrior Reg's NBA Jabber Reg's MIGHTY Big House of Hoopsl

Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
static
Rams Fan
Casual Fan

static will become famous soon enough
: $7139
Kobe Bryant: The Greatest Laker Ever??? (UPDATE: ESPN's Chris Broussard says YES!)

By Ray D. aka Static
Jabberhead, Janitor's Kid, SJ Contributing Author

Never in my life will I claim to know more about the game of basketball than the logo himself, but Jerry West stating that Kobe Bryant is the best Laker ever is a bit much. Now anyone that knows me knows that in the past decade Bryant has surpassed Scottie Pippen and Shaquille O’Neal and my second favorite player of all time (nobody could ever top MJ), but even still I couldn’t let my bias get in the way of good sense.

Kobe Bean Bryant will be a first ballot Hall of Famer, no question about that. He is one of the greatest players in the post Jordan era (the others are Tim Duncan and Shaquille O’Neal because all three of them have 4 rings), but as of right now he is not the best player to ever wear the purple and gold.

Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar not only have 5 rings and an almost endless amount of all-time stats, but they’ve accomplished the greatest thing a Laker could ever do and wasn’t done until they came around, beat the Celtics to win the NBA Finals.

The Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers have met in the NBA Finals 12 times in history. Not including this series, Boston has won 9; LA has won 2. Those only two wins came from the efforts of Kareem, Magic, and the show time crew. Think about it, the Celtics beat down the Lakers 8 times before they got that first one and the way things are going in the finals right now, Magic and Kareem might be the only two Laker greats with more than four rings to be able to say that ever.

That’s not to state that the Lakers can’t win two home games to take the championship this week or even if that doesn’t happen it’s not ridiculous to think these two current versions of the Lakers and Celtics won’t ever meet again and Kobe might beat them then. But if this the last time Kobe sees Boston in the Finals and even if he does win one, two, or three more rings, he’ll still have that same black mark on his record as the man that traded for him in 1996 for Vlade Divac, Jerry West: he never could get past the Celtics. You can’t be the best Laker ever and get beat by the Celtics twice in three years. It would be an absurd and moronic statement.

It would be a shame to see Kobe to be forever done with the “Can’t do it without Shaq” statement for just a year later to add another one “Can’t get past Boston” to follow him around for however long. This story is to be continued…

Oh, and by the way. GO LAKERS!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Anthony
Sanctioned
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Anthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud of
My Mood:

: $477898

I think Magic Johnson was the greatest Laker ever

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Cowboystd
Drugs+Alcohol= Winning!
Lottery Pick

Kingpin Bowling Champion!
Cowboystd has a spectacular aura aboutCowboystd has a spectacular aura about
My Mood:

: $16212

I don't see why not, i mean plenty of people are calling Kobe the "Next Michael Jordan" or the best since him anyway so it only makes sence that he would be the best Laker ever.

Now don;t get me wrong i hate Kobe, but that's from a competitive standpoint. He's just too damn good! I mean i get shocked when he misses a shot cause he never does. The man is great. Unfortunatly Lol.

And nice article btw Static!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Anthony
Sanctioned
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Anthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud of
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboystd View Post
I don't see why not, i mean plenty of people are calling Kobe the "Next Michael Jordan" or the best since him anyway so it only makes sence that he would be the best Laker ever.

Now don;t get me wrong i hate Kobe, but that's from a competitive standpoint. He's just too damn good! I mean i get shocked when he misses a shot cause he never does. The man is great. Unfortunatly Lol.

And nice article btw Static!
Well, it really never made sense to people in Los Angeles that Kobe was mentioned in debates over best player all-time, because the majority of Angelinos don't even think he's the best Laker all-time. First you have to conquer the franchise before you take on the world.

I think those that are too young can't truly appreciate what Magic did on the court, and he did it immediately, winning a championship as a rookie..and doing it by stepping up and playing center while Kareem was out with a broken leg. Credit Magic for extending Kareem's career and making Jamaal Wilkes a star. He was the most unselfish player I've ever seen, and when the Jabbars, worthys, etc were gone, he still managed to take a BAD Lakers team to the finals, though they got smoked by the Bulls. That Lakers team had Vlade Divac at center.

Magic played every spot on the floor, and he could dominate at each. He doesn't have scoring titles, because he looked to pass first, but he could have easily averaged 30+ points per game. If not for his illness, he would be the league's all time assists leader, and it would be far out of reach for anyone to break it.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Cowboystd
Drugs+Alcohol= Winning!
Lottery Pick

Kingpin Bowling Champion!
Cowboystd has a spectacular aura aboutCowboystd has a spectacular aura about
My Mood:

: $16212

I'm not calling Kobe the best player ever, We should all know that it's Michael Jordan and Bill Russel has a strong argument. I'm just saying based off of what everyone else says. Kobe is either loved or he's hated. And those that love him think he's the best since Jordan. That i will agree with, but not as best of all time. And since i don;t live in or ever been to L.A i don't know what the thoughts are there.

As for Magic Johnson, i have great respect for him. From the footage and things i've seen from him he was great. But i just don;t know, because if people keep saying all these things about Kobe and especially if the Lakers end up winning this thing again, there might be no stop of him being talked about as the greatest Laker ever and beyond.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
Anthony
Sanctioned
HOF'er (retired jersey)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboystd View Post
I'm not calling Kobe the best player ever, We should all know that it's Michael Jordan and Bill Russel has a strong argument. I'm just saying based off of what everyone else says. Kobe is either loved or he's hated. And those that love him think he's the best since Jordan. That i will agree with, but not as best of all time. And since i don;t live in or ever been to L.A i don't know what the thoughts are there.

As for Magic Johnson, i have great respect for him. From the footage and things i've seen from him he was great. But i just don;t know, because if people keep saying all these things about Kobe and especially if the Lakers end up winning this thing again, there might be no stop of him being talked about as the greatest Laker ever and beyond.
People love scoring. Kobe scores lots of points, Magic didn't. But even so, the NBA's all time leading scorer is Kareem Abdul Jabber, another Laker. The all time leading rebounder is Wilt Chamberlain, yet another Laker. He's still in a battle for best Laker all time. I don't think he's earned that yet. That's Magic's statue in front of Staples Center.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
rondo
All Pro

rondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to beholdrondo is a splendid one to behold
: $50664
Send a message via ICQ to rondo

I'll also vote for Magic as best Laker ever.

rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Reg
Ray's #2 Hero/Gramps
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Reg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud ofReg has much to be proud of
My Mood:

: $303068
Send a message via Yahoo to Reg

I'm a HUGE Kobe fan and know Static is also. But I have to go with Magic. BUT IF Kobe gets 2 more rings, I'LL have to change my vote.

Nice article, Ray.

(Note to yalls...That's my son! )