Forums

Top Headlines: Maddon opts out, won't return to Rays.. Attorney: NFL, Ravens not cooperating.... RG3 breaks silence, says won't rush back.. Royals shift Cain to tricky RF at AT&T.. Ted Bishop out as PGA president.. Manning calls out scoreboard operator.. Chara tears knee ligament, out 4-6 weeks.. Judge halts NJ sports betting plan.. Bengals WR Green doubtful against Ravens...

SJ Home Forums S. Wedell Memorial Mock Draft Database Arcade Sports Gifts
Go Back   Forums > NFL Huddle > NFL Jabber

Notices

NFL Jabber The most popular sport in America and our most popular forum. Well, at least until the Waitress Room starts getting new .. "material"

Old 09-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
Milla4Prez66
Blue Chipper

Milla4Prez66 has a spectacular aura aboutMilla4Prez66 has a spectacular aura aboutMilla4Prez66 has a spectacular aura about
My Mood:

: $25855
Milla's Buc Report: Week 1

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are 1-0. It's not too often you can say that, the last time the Bucs won a season opener was in 2005 when they defeated the Vikings in Minnesota, 24-13 in Cadillac Williams' first career NFL game. Here's a suprising stat, Sunday's 17-14 win over the Cleveland Browns was the first time the Buccaneers have EVER won a season opener at Raymond James Stadium, they were previously 0-4 in Week 1 matchups in the New Sombrero. The Bucs' victory wasn't pretty, but a win is a win, especially for a team that needed eight games to get one last season. Here is some thoughts from the win.

Positives
-EJ Biggers looked outstanding in his first NFL game. The 2009 7th round pick out of Eastern Michigan was put on IR his entire rookie season, after beating out Elbert Mack and Myron Lewis for the nickel back job he got a shot to start opening day with Aqib Talib's suspension. Not only did he get a crucial fourth quarter pick off Jake Delhomme, but he was great in coverage all day long.
-Geno Hayes is a complete STUD. It's a joke he fell all the way to the 6th round, the guy has outstanding speed and is flying around the field all the time.
-Gerald McCoy was impressive in his NFL debut, he recorded three tackles and one forced fumble. He nearly had a sack, but as he was bringing Jake Delhomme down, Delhomme was able to get the ball away to a RB. His presence in the middle was a big reason why the Bucs' defense was so stout in the second half.
-Not a great stat day, but rookie WR Mike Williams made his presence felt. He had an outstanding touchdown grab, and was beating Browns defenders deep several times.
-The Bucs have been one of the better special teams units of the last few years. But they did an outstanding job on Josh Cribbs, he never had a shot to break anything all day.

Negatives
-The Bucs' running game struggled mightily. Even though they racked up 119 yards, 33 of them were on a Josh Freeman scramble. Cadillac Williams only managed 75 yards on 22 carries, Earnest Graham had 10 yards on 6 carries with a fumble. Kareem Huggins was never involved.
-The Bucs had some struggles defending the run again. Peyton Hillis gashed our defense, and Jerome Harrison had one big play. The good news is, the Bucs didn't get gashed right up the middle. But they struggled with the run to the outside, but it did look better than last year at least.
-Greg Olson is still a horrible OC. His play calling sucked, and we had no offense all day. Thankfully our defense played great and we got just enough to win.

Interesting stat of the game. In the shotgun, Josh Freeman was 10 for 12 with 109 yards and two touchdowns for a passer rating of 144.1, under center Freeman was 7 of 16 for 73 yards and a pick with a 31.5 QB rating. My guess is, with his thumb injured Freeman felt a lot more comfortable in the shotgun. Hopefully with a healthy thumb, he can play like that no matter what.

Next up for the Buccaneers, the Carolina Panthers. DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart have had Tampa Bay's number as of late, but the Bucs will look to change that pattern and go 2-0.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
rip_city
TRUE BLUE!
Hometown Hero

rip_city has a spectacular aura aboutrip_city has a spectacular aura about
My Mood:

: $8221
Send a message via AIM to rip_city

nice write up. I seen Freeman throw a great pass for a TD to I think Spurlock. He has looked impressive thus far, well including the preseason action I saw of him.

Big props to BK on the sick D-Rob Sig!!!

NYSR Will Always Be Remembered
rip_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
bbyao06
In Memory of Scott...
Lottery Pick

bbyao06 will become famous soon enoughbbyao06 will become famous soon enough
: $40321

Wow, that is such an interesting fact. I'm glad that the Bucs won their season opener, they definitely needed that win. Freeman should continue to play in the shotgun because it seems that's where he's most comfortable at and the most effective at.
bbyao06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Crunkbuc4d1
Crunk Schiano
Casual Fan

Crunkbuc4d1 will become famous soon enough
: $3911

Freeman's shotgun numbers are about the same as last year. makes me winder why Olson tries to force him into an under center QB. With a Pro Bowl center like Faine, the odds of bad snaps minimal, and the franchise QB feels most comfortable in it, why not play more shotgun.

Chris Simms was the same way but Gruden never adjusted to his strengths. Hopefully Olson isn't as stubborn.

Crunkbuc4d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Milla4Prez66
Blue Chipper

Milla4Prez66 has a spectacular aura aboutMilla4Prez66 has a spectacular aura aboutMilla4Prez66 has a spectacular aura about
My Mood:

: $25855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunkbuc4d1 View Post
Freeman's shotgun numbers are about the same as last year. makes me winder why Olson tries to force him into an under center QB. With a Pro Bowl center like Faine, the odds of bad snaps minimal, and the franchise QB feels most comfortable in it, why not play more shotgun.

Chris Simms was the same way but Gruden never adjusted to his strengths. Hopefully Olson isn't as stubborn.
Olson is ironically running the same offense Gruden did. I think he's stubborn enough to not play with Freeman's strengths, but he's not quite as stubborn as Gruden.

Milla4Prez66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Deb
Miss Ya Big Guy
HOF'er (retired jersey)

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
My Mood:

: $536349
Send a message via AIM to Deb Send a message via MSN to Deb Send a message via Yahoo to Deb

Nice review Buddy

"And in the depths of winter, I found in me am invincible summer."
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote